Regional Capitals Australia welcomed the initiatives within the Federal Budget 2018.
The following is a summary of 2018/19 key budget investment areas.
The new initiatives included in the 2018/19 Budget were:
- Five rural and regional medical schools: as part of an $83 million Strong Rural Health Strategy, the schools will be created as part of the workforce incentive programme, with all schools to be based in the broader Murray Darling region; and
- Regional Universities: $96 million allocated to support additional student places in regional universities and regional study hubs.
- The Roads of Strategic Importance: support features $3.5 billion in funding for road and rail projects, including the Coffs Harbour bypass and the Geelong rail line duplication.
The continuation of funding has been allocated to the following initiatives:
- The Building Better Regions Fund is to receive $200 million in funding for the third round of the program
- The Smart Cities and Suburbs Program has been allocated $50 million.
The Regional Growth Funding of $272 million was also rolled over into the 18/19 financial year for round one projects.
Take our Federal Budget survey: